KĀLAI AKU, KĀLAI MAI – A papa paepoʻo experience
Saturday, February 17 @ 9:00 am - Sunday, February 18 @ 2:00 pm HST
Purple Maiʻa Kaiʻi Kai Studios, Nation of Hawaiʻi, and Mahi La Pierre of Pae Lāʻau Hawaiʻi presents KĀLAI AKU, KĀLAI MAI: a talkstory and hands-on a papa paepʻo experience to learn about, design, and create a Hawaiian surfcraft.
Join us on February 17th (Saturday) & February 18th (Sunday) from 9 am to 2 pm at Puʻuhonua o Waimānalo (41-1200 Waikupanaha St Waimānalo, Oʻahu), as we kōkua each other and learn together through activities that focus on why things are shaped in certain ways, and how their form affects their function.
Keiki and Opio welcomed with Makua/Kupuna
Must attend both days
Why attend the in-person info session?
- Learn about how the shapes of mea Hawaiʻi and things in our everyday life are important based on their form, function, and aesthetics
- Applying these concepts and learned skills you will create your own sustʻĀINAble, plywood-stoke-guaranteed-perpetual-smile-generator Hawaiian surfcraft
- As we kālai our papa paepoʻo, we believe that in shaping, planning, and formulating something, it can also shape you in positive ways, and enable growth, empowerment, wellness, and inspiration.
- Instruction from start to finish on how to design, cut, shape, sand, hoʻonani/personalize, and finish your plywood papa paepoʻo
- Information on traditional and modern Hawaiian surfing and surfcraft will be shared
- During this workshop, other than a jigsaw mostly hand tools and sandpaper will be used
- Bring your aloha, good energy, and a smile
- All materials will be provided on site and you will walk away with your personalized paipo board!